At a Glance
Colombia recognizes that gender equality, empowerment of women and girls, and the protection and guarantee of the full exercise of their rights, are vital to achieve true development and a society based on democratic principles.
Today, progress and change in favor of women is increasing in Colombia; the country is working to build a fairer, inclusive, and peaceful society. Colombia has consolidated a solid and robust institutional, regulatory, and public policy framework in favor of promoting all Colombian women in different fields, including political, economic, social, and cultural areas.
The implementation of diverse international commitments on gender quality, such as the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, the Consensus of Santo Domingo, and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, have also contributed to this purpose.
Colombia recognizes that the Equal Future Partnership Initiative will allow them to continue working and promoting national efforts for the benefit of all Colombian women. Colombia will continue to build on its successes, lessons learned, and the implementation of a variety of measures that have given them positive results.
Colombia’s Equal Futures Partnership Commitments
1. Promote empowerment and economic autonomy of women:
- Colombia is committed to further strengthening its institutions to develop and promote the empowerment and economic autonomy of women, especially through the promotion of better and more equal working conditions for women, and women’s integration into formal employment activities.
- Colombia is committed to work for the transformation of companies’ structures, which apart from generating employment and wealth for society, are a space for egalitarian work that will contribute to a fairer Colombian society. These changes include getting women into the higher levels of leadership in companies and ensuring equality at all levels of the corporate ladder.
2. Promote the participation of women and their leadership at all levels of decision-making:
- Colombia is committed to continuing to strengthen the mechanisms of democratic representation and electoral participation by increasing the full and effective participation of women and ensuring equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic, and public life.
3. Promote equal access of women to quality education at all levels:
- Colombia recognizes that education creates conditions of peace and equity. Colombia is committed to increasing the quality and coverage of the education system at all levels. Colombia is committed to work for the elimination of gender disparities in education and ensure equal access for women and girls to all levels of education and training.